My New Favorite Rum For Cigar Pairing

When I’m looking to relax and bring the evening to an end, I love pairing a fine spirit with a cigar. Sometimes one will inspire the other, such as a tawny port making me want a padron anniversary. In this case, it is more about the spirit and how it works so well with most any medium to full bodied cigar. I think a solid medium works beautifully here.

As far as rum is concerned, I’ve fallen for the “Z’s”: Zacapa, Zaya, and as seen here in this video, Zafra. Zafra has become a favorite of mine. It is finished in a bourbon cask, has a beautiful complexity in the taste and a nice smooth finish. I’m having a glass tonight with a Winston Churchill spitfire and am enjoying the combination very much. If you haven’t tried Zafra before, definitely give it a taste and let me know your thoughts. I know I am enjoying it.

What are your go-to spirits? As far as rum is concerned, Zafra is now my go to rum.

Tags: , , , , , ,

7 Comments

1. Rojo Camacho
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 07:24:39

I too am a fan of Zaya and Zacapa. havent had the Zafra but have heard good things. my favorite rum is Pampero Anniversario, it has great flavors of vanilla and caramel. goes really well with a nice guapo maduro.

2. Tweets that mention My New Favorite Rum For Cigar Pairing | The Smoking Hot Cigar Chick -- Topsy.com
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 07:49:20

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by the cigar chick and Michael Forry, Michael Forry. Michael Forry said: RT @cigarchick: Here's a quick video before I leave for NO and the #ipcpr. My new favorite rum: http://bit.ly/cFRIQ5 Stay tuned for #cig … [...]

3. Luis Paredes
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 08:09:45

I’m a big fan of pairing an Arturo Fuente Short Story with a nice cup of Harveys Bristol Cream Sherry. Nice and woody and mellow paring. Brings up nice memories of Spain!

4. Ian Wendt
    Aug 12, 2010 @ 11:29:00

My favorite rum, at least for the time being, is probably the Pyrat XO Reserve. Has some fantastic nuances in the flavor and it’s remarkably affordable. For other spirits, I really enjoy single malts. Balvenie has some amazing malts, as do Glen Morangie and of course a bunch of others as well. I’ve been looking to try the Zacapa and Zaya myself.

5. matt
    Aug 12, 2010 @ 23:54:47

I just happened to see you too are at IPCPR this year. If you are enjoying rum you need to go to the rocky patel booth and try their rum. I can’t remember the name right now, but they have a 12 year and 15 year for tasting. The 12 is so-so but the 15 is amazing! I’m not a huge rocky fan but it was totally worth going over just for that.

6. Ivan
    Jan 26, 2012 @ 17:30:32

Just tried a Winston Churchill Spitfire with a Zafra 21 after your advice and I must say that it really goes well, expecially in the 2/3 of the cigar! I’ll sure go for it again! Tnx for the advice :)
    Cheers

7. Tyler
    Oct 04, 2012 @ 12:21:32

My favorite rum is Chairmans Reserve(not to be confused with chairmans reserve cigars). It is a St. Lucian Rum made from a blend of 6+ different rums and goes very well with many cigars due to its mellow but complex palate of ripe raisins, tobacco and spicy vanilla.