5 Ways to Use Your Cigar Bands
Cigar bands, we all have them but what are we do with them once we are done with our cigar? Here are five creative ways to make use of the cigar bands you have collected.
1. Start a cigar journal. Grab a notebook and start gluing or taping your cigar bands in, leaving space to the side for your notes. Not sure what to write down? Then start with what stood out to you in the cigar, the details you know about the cigar such as the wrapper, binder, filler, and vitola. Include a date so you can look back later. As a bonus, include anything you might have had just before or during the smoke such as food or drinks. It plays a role in the experience and is something you can reflect back on.
2. Style your wardrobe. Why not wear your cigar bands? They are like pieces of art after all and they reflect your hobby. You can make bracelets, cufflinks, charms, earrings, or decorations on hats or wallets. Be as creative as you want. This is something you can also hire out to someone with more skill and familiarity of working with cigar bands for a more polished look. The bracelet you see in the video was designed and made by Chancellor Karshens of Totally Stoged. He has an eye for combining the colors of cigar bands together beautifully as well as crafting very unique pieces.
3. Style your home. Incorporate the cigar art of cigar bands into your home. I love my cigar band covered serving tray. It’s not only useful but it is a conversation starter as well. This particular tray is from The Briar Shoppe, a local cigar shop here in Houston. Other ideas for furnishings around the house could be coasters, lamps, clocks, or even poker chips! You can decorate anything and make use of multiple bands in one piece or just a single band from your favorite cigar.
4. Give them away. If you are not going to use them, then give them away to someone who will use them. Often at cigar shops I am asked for my bands because someone is working on a big project and needs lots of bands to complete it. If you know someone who would appreciate and use them, give them away! Assist a fellow friend of the leaf and let them create a new work of art.
5. Bookmark your books. This is my personal favorite use for cigar bands. They are ornate on their own and make great bookmarks! I first discovered this use out of necessity as I was smoking a cigar and reading a book, then found myself without a bookmark. I think this works especially well with recipe books. They look lovely and you can even go further and organize your recipe selections with the unique cigar bands. Maybe a special occasion cigar band for a special occasion dinner for example. It’s just an idea, but the point is you can be as creative as you desire.
Any of these five options are better than simply throwing them away. Many people worked hard to create their bands and some are art on their own. By finding a use for them they are given another life and also promote the cigar lifestyle. The more awareness we can give to the culture and art of cigars the better!